This traditional meatloaf recipe is made with lean ground beef with a tangy and sweet glaze topping. You’ll find that this recipe is outstandingly amazing because of the lean ground beef used, unlike other recipes that use ground beef with a high fat content which cooks out and makes a greasy mess. This meatloaf is totally DELICIOUS!
This meatloaf recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal as it takes just a few minutes to throw together. Easy and quick, no stress! You can also make it ahead of time, just cover the loaf pan with a plastic wrap and refrigerate. When you’re ready, remove from refrigerator and uncover it, letting it come to room temperature as you’re preheating the oven.
The meatloaf can equally be frozen. Just prepare and put it in a loaf pan, top with the glaze following the recipe instructions, cover the pan and freeze. About 24 hours before you’re ready to bake, place it in the refrigerator to thaw. After the 24 hours, remove from refrigerator, uncover and let it come to room temperature while you’re preheating the oven.
Total time: 1hour 5minutes (Prep time: 10mins, Cook time: 55 minutes) Serves: 10
Ingredients For The Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- 90% lean ground beef – 1lb
- Dried bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Yellow onion(diced) – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Egg (large, beaten) – 1
- Ketchup – 2 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Dried parsley leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garlic powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
- For the Glaze:
- Ketchup – 1/4 cup
- Packed light brown sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Red wine vinegar – 1 tablespoon
How To Make The Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe
- Turn on oven and preheat to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, 2 tablespoons ketchup, onions, bread crumbs, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, parsley, pepper, and salt. Mix and mush well with your hand till they are well combined. Avoid undermixing to avoid ending up with meatloaf that’s too soft/mushy.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Add the meat mixture to the loaf pan and pat the meat down to an even layer.
- In a smaller bowl, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar. Stir well till well combined. Then pour the mixture on the meatloaf and spread into an even layer.
- Place the loaf pan in oven and bake for about 55 minutes.
- Let the meatloaf rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into it (or it may fall apart).
- Calories – 164kcal
- Carbohydrates – 14.8g
- Protein – 11.7g
- Fat – 5.7g
- Cholesterol – 49.9mg
- Sugar – 6.7g
- Sodium – 399.3g
- Fiber – 0.6g
Recipe source: The Wholesome Dish