Having an amazing, flavourful pizza dough recipe in your recipe book is so very essential. A good homemade pizza dough gives you that awesomely delicious pizza crust that perfects your homemade pizza. This recipe will guide you through how to make the perfect pizza dough right in the comfort of your kitchen. What more? It’s super easy and affordable.
I made use of bread flour in this recipe but all-purpose flour works perfectly fine also. An important tip to make a perfect dough is to pre-bake the dough for about 5-6 minutes before adding your toppings to it. Afterwards, return to the oven to finish baking – and there you have your perfectly made pizza crust, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Yummy!!
It is equally important that you give the dough enough time to rise. If you want to save time, you can make the dough a night before and allow it to rise overnight in an airtight container, in the fridge. This recipe makes 3 thin pizza crusts, but that might be a lot for you. If it is, you can freeze the leftover. Just form a ball with the dough and spray it lightly with a non-stick spray, then place in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Total time: 1hour 40minutes (Prep time: 1hour 30mins, Cook time: 10mins)
Serves: 3 thin pizza crusts
Ingredients For The Perfect Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- Flour (bread or all-purpose) – 4 cups
- Granulated sugar – 2 teaspoons
- Active dry yeast – 21/2 teaspoons
- Warm water – 11/2 cups
- White vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 11/2 teaspoons
How To Make The Perfect Homemade Pizza Dough
- Combine sugar, yeast and 1/2 cup of the warm water in a large bowl of a stand mixer. Stir well till yeast is dissolved and leave to rest for about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, salt, olive oil and remaining 1 cup of water.
- Start to mix on medium-low speed, slowly adding the flour. Knead the dough till it’s smooth and elastic (for about 7 minutes). The dough should be a little bit sticky but not so much that it really sticks to your fingertips upon touching it.
- Cover the bowl containing the dough with a dry towel. Leave to rest for about 1 – 11/2 hours till it’s doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough lightly and place on a lightly floured or greased counter top. Divide the dough into 2-3 equal portions. Roll out and stretch the dough to your desired thickness and size. Leave to rest while you preheat your oven.
- Turn on oven and pre-heat to 450°F. Place your pizza stone or baking tray in the oven while it pre-heats.
- Prick pizza dough all over with a fork and brush lightly with oil. Pre-bake dough on the hot baking tray or pizza stone for about 5-6 minutes.
- Bring out from oven and pizza sauce with toppings. Return to the oven and bake till crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. This should take about 8-15 minutes. Alternatively, after adding pizza sauce and toppings, you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours till you’re ready to bake.
- Calories – 751kcal
- Carbohydrates – 131g
- Protein – 18g
- Fat – 15g
- Sodium – 1167mg
- Sugar – 3g