Naturally sweet dried fruit, whole-meal flour and walnuts make this dairy-free, sugar-free, and egg-free cake a perfect alternative for diabetics during Christmas period.
Ready in: 2hr (Prep: 10min, Cook: 1hr 50min)
- Raisins – 500g
- Water – 475ml
- Vegetable oil – 235ml
- A pinch of salt
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Whole-meal flour – 300g
- Plain flour – 150g
- Bicarbonate of soda – 2 teaspoons
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Chopped walnuts – 60g
- Lemon zest – 4 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (Gas 4). Grease two loaf tins.
- Combine the raisins, vegetable oil, water, cinnamon and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into the raisin mixture, and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the walnuts, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Then turn the cake mixture into the prepared tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- And then, reduce the temperature to 160 C (Gas 3), and continue to bake for about 45 minutes or until the skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.