Your natural and sweet rugelach needs no artificial sugar. It’s a tasty cream cheese pastry filled with sultanas, nuts and cinnamon.
Ready in: 35min (Prep: 20min, Cook: 15min)
- Butter – 225g (8 oz)
- Cream cheese, softened – 225g (8 oz)
- Plain flour – 350g (12 oz)
- Vanilla essence – 1 dessertspoon
- For the filling
- Chopped sultanas – 175g (6 oz)
- Chopped walnuts – 125g (4¼ oz)
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar free apricot preserves – 300g (11 oz)
- Preheat oven to about 15 to 17 minutes at 1900C (Gas mark 5). Lightly grease a lined baking tray.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Blend in the vanilla, and mix in the flour.
- Then chill the dough.
- Making the filling:
- Mix the chopped walnuts, chopped sultanas and cinnamon together. (If there is a food processor in your home, place the whole sultanas and walnuts into the bowl, sprinkle the cinnamon and chop them together with the processor in short pulses.)
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll out each of the portions into a (25 – 30cm) circle, but under 25cm thick on a (lightly) floured board. You also use two sheets of greaseproof paper in place of the board.
- Spread onto each dough circle a light layer of apricot preserves (2 tablespoons is ok).
- Sprinkle on each circle with 4 tablespoons of the chopped nut mixture.
- Using a pizza cutter or a pastry cutter, cut each circle into 16 wedges.
- Then roll each wedge from base to point.
- Place point down on the lightly greased baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 – 17 minutes at 1900C until golden.
- Allow it to cool on racks.