The only sugar that can be found in the cookies is from the chocolate chips. You can use chopped dark chocolate with at least 70 percent cacao for even lesser sugar content. You can also use chopped walnuts, which are healthy for the heart, in place of pecans. These cookies freeze absolutely well.
Ready in: 27min (Prep:15min, Cook: 12min)
- Softened butter – 110g
- Granulated artificial or natural sweetener – 12 tablespoons
- Water – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Plain flour – 140g
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Plain chocolate chips – 85g
- Chopped pecans – 60g
- Preheat oven to about 1900C (Gas 5).
- Cream the butter and sweetener together in a medium bowl.
- Mix in water, vanilla and egg to the above.
- Sift the flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda together, and stir it into the creamed mixture.
- Mix in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookies by heaping some teaspoonful onto the baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove the cookies from trays to cool on wire racks.