If you’re a fan of Chef Yotam Ottolenghi, then you must be aware of his suggestion of rose harissa as one of the 10 must-have ingredients in his 2018 cookbook – Simple. This gave rise to a bit of a stir in places where the sauce is unknown or not readily available. If you’re in one of those places where it’s hard to get your hands on rose harissa, this homemade rose harissa recipe is the perfect solution for you.
If you’re wondering what the difference between traditional harissa and rose harissa is, it’s simple. Traditional harissa us a spice sauce which originates from Tunisia (North America). Though there are many variations to the recipe, it’s basic ingredients include spicy fresh/dried peppers, garlic, olive oil, caraway, cumin and an acid – often lemon juice.
Rose harissa on the other hand includes rose water and/or dried rose petals. This adds a floral counterbalance to the spicy smoky peppers and softens the kick of the chillies.
This recipe is as easy as easy can be and very cost effective. Having this recipe in your collection will save you the hassle of ordering from Amazon or Ottolenghi store. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and can equally be frozen in about 1 – 2 tablespoon amounts for a quick soice infusion anytime your recipe calls for it.
Use it as finishing touches to dishes – stews, soups, grains and so on. Additionally, you can rub it on chicken and bake, use as the kick in a tomato sauce or as a topping for omelettes or scrambled eggs.
Check out our Super Easy And Yummy Rose Harissa Spagetti also, it’s awemaazing!
Total time: 40 minutes (Prep time: 30 mins, Cook time: 10 mins)
Ingredients For Spicy And Flavorful Homemade Rose Harissa
- Dried chilli de arbol (rehydrated) – 4
- Fresno/Serrano chillies ( chopped and seeded) – 2
- Olive oil – 4 teaspoons
- Caraway seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Garlic (roughly chopped) – 4 cloves
- Coriander seeds – 11/2 teaspoons
- Smoked paprika – 2 teaspoons
- Rose petals – 1 teaspoon
- Rose water – 1 teaspoon
- Shallot (roughly chopped) – 2 tablespoons
- Tomato paste – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Kosher salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar – a pinch
How To Make Spicy And Flavorful Homemade Rose Harissa
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a skillet and place over medium heat. Fry cumin, coriander and caraway in the oil for about 10 seconds till fragrant. Remove spices and reserve the oil.
- Grind spices with a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, then add smoked paprika.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the reserved oil and heat until very hot. Add fresno/serrano chillies, rehydrated chilli de arbol, garlic and shallot. Saute until golden.
- Combine remaining olive oil, sauteed mixture, tomato paste, spices, lemon juice, rose water and salt in a food processor or blender. Process or blend until smooth. Add additional salt and rose water if desired (add rose water in tiny bits so as not to over add).
- Store in the refrigerator in a sterilised glass jar with a layer of olive oil on top if desired.
- Calories – 32kcal
- Carbohydrates – 3.4g
- Fat – 7.5g
- Protein – 1.2g
- Sodium – 153mg