Whether it’s on a cold afternoon or a freezing winter night, hot apple cider is a delicious beverage that always hits the spot. It simply warms you up from the inside out. Plus, it fills the house with wonderful aromas of autumn.
This healthy recipe is really easy to make and absolutely delicious. It can be made in a saucepan or a slow cooker. The combination of spices gives it a wonderful aroma that’s just perfect for the season. No refined sugar was used in the recipe but you can use pure maple syrup for added sweetness, if you so desire.
Total time: 25 minutes (Prep time: 5 mins, Cook time: 20 mins)
Ingredients For Spiced Hot Apple Cider
- Unsweetened apple juice – 4 cups
- Cinnamon sticks – 3
- Cloves (whole) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg – 1/4 teaspoon
- Orange zest – 1/2 tablespoon
- Pure maple syrup – to taste (optional)
How To Make Spiced Hot Apple Cider
- Combine the spices in a slow cooker or saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until aromatic while stirring constantly. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the nutmeg, then add the apple juice and orange zest. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Note that the longer you simmer the stronger your apple cider will be.
- Strain juice into a heatproof pitcher or individual mugs using a fine-mesh sieve. Allow to cool slightly. Garnish with cinnamon sticks if desired.
- Calories – 126kcal
- Carbohydrates – 31g
- Sugars – 23g
- Fiber – 2g
- Sodium – 10mg
- Potassium – 276mg
Apple cider is super healthy for you if you enjoy it a lot. You may like to check some recipes with apple cider.