This vegetarian Pakistani recipe is good both diabetics and vegans. The courgettes is simmered with tomatoes, onion and yoghurt in a fragrant mix of wonderful spices. Traditionally, this dish is served with chapatti. It is also good when served with boiled rice.
Ready in: 20min (Prep: 5min, Cook: 15min)
- Vegetable oil – 4 tablespoons
- Onion (thinly sliced) – 1
- Courgettes (peeled and cut into semicircles) – 6
- Garlic (minced) – 1 clove
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – 450ml (16 fl oz)
- Chilli powder – 1 dessertspoon
- Ground turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground coriander – 1 teaspoon
- Whole cloves – 3
- Whole peppercorns – 7
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 4
- Low fat natural yoghurt – 2 tablespoons
- Over a medium heat, heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until it turns golden.
- Add the courgettes, garlic, salt, water, turmeric, tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander, peppercorns, cloves and yoghurt, and then mix thoroughly.
- Reduce the heat to low; stirring occasionally, simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes.