Who does not cherish courses of meals that incorporate meat, sauce, and cheese? Lasagna, though tasky to prepare, it’s very much worth the effort. This recipe for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Casserole is thick, spicy and of cause very rich. Even the leftovers, eaten the next day still taste great, if not better. The spaghetti squash is a replacement for pasta.
Ready in: 45 mins (Prep 15mins, Cook: 30mins)
- Whole spaghetti squash – 1
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Diced medium onion – ½
- Breakfast sausage – 1lb
- 80/20 ground beef – 1lb
- Minced garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Rao’s marinara sauce – 24 ounces
- Whole milk ricotta – 20 ounces
- Large eggs – 2
- Grated Parmesan cheese – 3/4 cup
- Chopped basil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Sliced mozzarella cheese – 8 ounces
- Chopped parsley – 2 tablespoons
- Set the oven to a preheat at 400°F.
- With a sturdy knife, cut the spaghetti squash into equal halves (lengthwise). Splitting in half appears to be the hardest part of preparing spaghetti squash. It is advisable to do this carefully. After this, gently scoop out and discard the squash poops using a spoon.
- After discarding the scoop, drizzle and sprinkle the spaghetti squash with a tablespoon of olive oil, with salt and pepper respectively.
- Barbecue the squash until it is soft or effortlessly shreds using the fork. After this, separate the squash from its skin into a bowl and set aside. Drain or pat dry any noticeable fluid, now its time to roast the squash.
- While waiting for the squash to roast, get a large skillet, place it on fire and heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, while heating it, add your chopped onion, sausage, ground beef, and garlic.
- Ensure the meat is thoroughly cooked, drain any rendered fat and add the marinara sauce to the meat mixture for it to mix and boil together.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce until most of the liquid has decreased and becomes thick.
- While simmering the meat, get a bowl and fuse together the ricotta cheese, eggs, basil, pepper, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Return the oven and lower the temperature to 350°F and grease lightly the quart casserole dish.
- Starting with the spaghetti squash, add half the shreds to the bottom of the casserole dish, to form a layer.
- Top the dish with half the ricotta mixture, followed by half the meat sauce and half the mozzarella cheese, in another layer.
- Repeat the layers afresh, beginning with a different layer of squash.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley on the casserole. After sprinkling, cover the dish with an aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil from the dish and re-bake until the dish is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow to cool for some minutes.
- After cooling, there’s nothing stopping you from enjoying your dish of Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Casserole.