With the proper recipe, homemade chicken nuggets are a million times better than the varieties gotten in fast food restaurants. They’re healthier and tastier and eventually even cheaper. Read on to learn how to make the best, crispiest and tastiest nuggets you’ll ever have. Both adults and kids love them..it’s simply irresistible.
These chicken nuggets are made completely with real chicken breasts and are oven-baked, no deep frying. That makes them a whole lot healthier. They’re also really easy to make, taking up just about 38 minutes of your time.
They’re a perfect finger food which you can dunk in your favorite dips/sauces like honey mustard sauce, sweet chilli sauce or BBQ sauce. I personally love to pair them with oven-baked fries but they also go well with a side salad. They’re a great lunch or dinner option that can easily be whipped up. You can also double or triple this recipe to keep the extras in the freezer for future meals.
Alternatively, if for any reason you do not want them oven-baked, you can fry in a large skillet with 1/2 cup of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook each side for about 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown. The panko bread crumbs listed among the ingredients can also be substituted with any good store-bought or homemade bread crumbs.
Total time: 38 minutes (Prep time: 20 mins, cook time: 18 mins)
Ingredients for Homemade Oven-baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Chicken breasts (boneless & skinless) – 11/2 Ibs
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Panko bread crumbs – 2 cups
- Eggs (large) – 2
- Dried thyme – 3/4 teaspoon
- Paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
How To Make Homemade Oven-baked Chicken Nuggets
- Turn on the oven and preheat to 400°c. Spray a large wire rack with non-stick cooking spray and set the rack on a baking sheet of a slightly bigger size.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a hip/pile on a separate baking sheet. Add olive oil and toss with fingertips to moisten evenly then spread into an even layer.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 4 minutes until slightly toasted and golden brown.
- Bring out from oven, then mould breadcrumbs into a pile and add thyme, paprika, garlic powder, salt ( about 3/4 teaspoon) and pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon). Mix together with a spatula.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl together with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cut chicken breasts into even 1-inch cubes. Dip the chicken pieces (about 6-8 at once) into the egg mixture and then place in the breadcrumbs mixture. Toss around to coat well and make sure to stick the crumbs well to the pieces. You can do this by pressing on the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the coated pieces to the earlier prepared wire rack making sure to give a little space between them. Repeat the process till all the chicken pieces are coated and placed on the rack.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 18 – 20 or until the temperature of the center of the chicken reads 165 when measured with an instant read thermometer. Serve warm with your favourite dip.
- Calories – 267
- Carbohydrates – 15g
- Protein – 28g
- Fat – 10g
- Cholesterol – 108mg
- Sodium – 680mg
- Potassium – 487mg