This delightfully spicy, hearty soup makes a perfect vegan meal. It is thick, nutritious and delicious, especially in winter!
Ready in: 2hr 5min (Prep: 20min, Cook: 1hr 45min)
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Onions (chopped) – 2
- Garlic (minced) – 2 cloves
- Grated root ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1.5L (2½ pints)
- Red lentils – 200g (7 oz)
- Chickpeas (drained) – 1 (400g) tin
- Cannellini beans – 1 (400g) tin
- Chopped tomatoes – 1 (400g) tin
- Carrots (diced) – 3
- Celery (diced) – 3 stalks
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Ground cardamom – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Ground cayenne pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cumin – 1/2 teaspoon
- In a large pot, sauté the onions, ginger and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the water, lentils, chickpeas, cannellini beans, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, celery, carrots, garam masala, cardamom and cumin, and bring the mixture to boil for a few minutes.
- Simmer the mixture for about 1 to 1.5 hours or even longer. Do this until the lentils are tender.
- Now purée half of the soup in a blender or food processor.
- And finally, return the puréed soup to the pot and stir. Ready to serve!