Moist and comforting banana walnut bread – pure low fat cake, but many will hardly know this.
Ready in:1hr15min (Prep:15min, Cook:1hr )
- caster sugar – 150g (5 oz)
- ripe and mashed bananas – 2
- Apple sauce or purée – 4 tablespoons
- Eggs – 2 balls
- Skimmed milk – 5 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- Plain flour – 225g (8 oz)
- Baking powder – 1 dessertspoon
- Bicarbonate of soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chopped walnuts – 30g (1 oz)
- Preheat your oven to about 160oC (Gas mark 3).
- Get the loaf tin with baking parchment to be used and line it, and lightly dust with the flour.
- In a large bowl, pound the eggs and sugar slightly until they become light and fluffy. Pound in bananas, milk, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla.
- With a separate bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt together.
- Then, stir the flour mixture into banana mixture. Do the mixing until they become well blended.
- After mixing, fold in walnuts.
- Now, pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour until it turns golden. Inserting a cocktail stick into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Turn bread out onto a wire rack and let cool.