These aromatic and moist cupcakes are excellent for Christmas. Diabetes friendly with low carb flours and no extra sugar added. It is very easy to make and most importantly, it tastes delicious!
Ready in: 45min (Prep: 20min, Cook: 25min)
Makes: 8 large cupcakes
- Ground almonds – 180g
- Poppy seeds – 3 tablespoons
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons
- 5 eggs (separated)
- softened butter – 85g
- zest of orange – 1 orange
- Orange juice – 3 tablespoons
- Erythritol – 240g
- A pinch cream of tartar
- For the frosting
- Cream cheese – 180g
- Butter – 60g
- Erythritol – 2 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to about 170 C (Gas 3). Line 12-hole cupcake tin to be used with paper cases.
- Mix poppy seeds, ground almond and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs yolks with butter in a large bowl, until it becomes yellow and fluffy.
- Add orange zest, orange juice and erythritol, and then mix thoroughly.
- With electric mixer whip egg whites with cream of tartar in a separate bowl until it becomes stiff.
- Add 1/3 of the whipped egg whites to the egg mixture and using spatula, gently fold it in.
- Fold the whole mixture into the remaining egg whites and also fold it in as gently as possible.
- Add half of the ground almonds and gently fold it in.
- Add the remaining almonds and repeat folding in.
- Then pour the batter into a cupcakes cases.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool fully.
For the frosting:
Mix the cream cheese with butter, and also with erythritol. Then, decorate the cupcakes with frosting and sprinkle with poppy seeds and orange zest.