This Keto Lemon Meringue Custard recipe makes creamy individual lemon custards topped with clouds of toasted meringue. These custards are like mini-lemon meringue pies, but without a crust to fuss with. This dish is yummier with lemon zest and a mix of lemon extract. It literally takes you to cloud nine with its sweet lemon goodness.
This dish is also very rich with its use of eggs as it uses both yolks and the whites in the same dish. The yolks add richness to the custard and the whites form fluffy meringue for the top. However you have to be very careful when separating the eggs.
On the plus side, this dish allows you to be creative in a lot of ways. Feel free to be creative in the dishes you choose. Well, just make sure they remain Keto-friendly.
Ready in: 1hr (Prep: 15mins; Cook: 45mins)
- Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon extract – ½ teaspoon
- Zest of lemon – 2
- Heavy whipping cream – 1 ½ cups
- Large egg yolks – 2
- Stevia erythritol blend – 1/3 cup
- Xanthan gum – ½ teaspoon
- Pinch of salt
- Large egg whites – 2
- Vanilla extract – 1/8 teaspoon
- Cream of tartar – 1/8 teaspoon
- Stevia erythritol blend – 1 tablespoon
- Combine 1/3 xanthan gum, cup sweetener, zest and salt in a saucepan
- Now go ahead to place on the stove and add in a tablespoon of the heavy cream. Make sure the stoves heat is set to low,then gradually add the remaining cream, about one to two tablespoons at a time.
- Now that you have added the cream, add in the egg yolks. At this point, increase heat to medium-low, changing from medium-low frequently.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, quickly remove from the heat and add in ½ teaspoon of vanilla and lemon extract. Then stir thoroughly.
- Put the mixture in your desired oven-safe serving dish. Go on to prepare the meringue
- Get a bowl, preferably small, and mix together the egg whites and cream of tartar. This is best done using an electric mixer set at medium-high speed.
- Now you should add a tablespoon of sweetener, and teaspoon of vanilla, preferably 1/8 and then beat at high speed for a while.
- Now spoon the mixture onto each of the custards evenly. Make sure to seal the edges of the custard with the meringue.
- Press down on the meringue with a spoon to create peaks and then lift upward.
- When you are through spreading the meringue, make sure you adjust the top rack of your oven so it is about 8 inches below the broiler.
- Then turn the broilers to high, and transfer to a cookie sheet.
- Place the sheet on the top rack.
- Broil both sides of the cooking sheet for about 10-20 seconds. You should get a brown coloration on top of the meringue while the base is still white.
- After the meringue has been toasted, go on to transfer the ramekins to the refrigerator or serve.
Do not overbrown the meringue as over-browning can make the meringue tough.
The stevia erythritol blend we use in this recipe is twice as sweet as sugarOne teaspoon of the blend is as sweet as two teaspoons of sugar.