Traditional Italian ketogenic friendly Osso Buco recipe for instant pot. In few minutes your keto osso buco is very much ready to serve. To make this meal you just need veal shanks, carrots, garlic and tomatoes.
Ready In: 1 hr 25 mins (Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 1hr 10 mins)
- Small yellow onion (diced) – 1 (2.5 oz)
- Garlic (minced) – 2 cloves
- Medium carrot (peeled and diced) – 1 (2.3 oz)
- Large celery stalks (sliced) – 2 (2.8 oz)
- Veal shanks (bone in) – 1.4 kg
- Sea salt (or to taste) – 3/4 teaspoon
- Coarse black pepper – to taste
- Ghee (you can use duck fat or tallow) – 3 tablespoons
- Small can chopped tomatoes – 1 (7 oz)
- Bay leaves – 1-2
- Fresh thyme – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tablespoons
How to make Keto Instant Pot Osso Buco Recipe
- Prepare the ingredients and set aside.
- Pat dry the meat with paper towel.
- Season both sides of the meat with pepper and salt.
- Set the instant pot to Sauté.
- Grease the pot with 2 tablespoons ghee.
- Add the beef and season with pepper and salt.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, or till it caramelizes and turns brown.
- Remove from the instant pot and set it aside.
- With the remaining ghee, grease the instant pot.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, or till fragrant.
- Add garlic and cook for extra 30 seconds.
- Also the celery and carrot, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the bay leaves, lemon juice, tomatoes, thyme and water.
- Add the meat back into the pot and cover it well with the sauce there.
- Seal the lid and set your instant pot to Manual for 40 minutes over high pressure.
- Once done, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes. Then manually release the remaining steam.
Remove the lid and season to taste.
- Drizzle over with olive oil and serve.
- You can serve this with low-carb sides such as Cauli-Rice
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories: 389kcal
- Total carbs: 6.6g
- Net carbs: 4.4g
- Fat: 24.4g
- Protein: 34.5g