I’m so excited to share this delicious, bubbly, super satisfying keto chicken enchilada casserole recipe. Keto enchilada casserole is scrumptious and flavorful just like the traditional enchiladas. The only difference is that the casserole is more healthy and without the extra carbs, and that’s a good thing for us I think!
It’s also much less work – really easy to make. You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to whip this keto chicken enchilada casserole up in no time. We basically just need to make the sauce, mix the ingredients and bake! The olive oil can be replaced with avocado oil if you’re not so sure about cooking with it. Also, you can use parsley in place of the fresh cilantro if you’re not a big fan of the herb. No cauliflower, no beef – simply put: this is not time for keto enchilada casserole ground beef or keto enchilada casserole cauliflower. But trust me, this is as super delicious as Chicken Cauliflower Casserole.
Now let me let out this confidential information, just for my readers. The secret to this recipe is in the seasonings! They work hand in hand to make the dish taste truly like the traditional enchiladas but without the tortillas. One more thing, keto chicken enchilada casserole leftovers are great too. You can just keep them in an airtight container, in the fridge for about three to four days. When you’re ready to eat, just reheat gently in a microwave or oven and make sure it’s covered.
I like to serve it with just a simple vegetable side dish since it’s a very rich dish itself. It goes well with grilled broccolini or sauteed green beans. Ok, that’s it. Let’s get down to the recipe proper.
Ready In: 40 minutes (Prep time: 20mins, Cook time: 20mins)
Ingredients for Keto Enchilada Casserole
- Pre-cooked chicken breast (shredded) – 2lb.
- Green Chile peppers (diced) – 4oz
- Fresh cilantro (minced) – 1oz
- Cheddar cheese – 2 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 1
- Black pepper (freshly gound) – 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cumin – 2 teaspoons
- Chilli powder – 3 tablespoons
- Tomato sauce – 15oz
- Minced garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1/2 cup
How To Make Keto Enchilada Casserole
- Turn on the oven and preheat to about 400°F
- Spray your baking dish with olive oil spray
- Make the sauce: pour the oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Add salt and onion. Stir often while cooking until softened. While still stirring, add cumin, black pepper, garlic and chilli powder and cook for about 30 seconds until the aroma can be perceived. Add water and tomato sauce. Cook while stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Mix the sauce, Chile peppers, chicken, 1 cup of cheese and cilantro in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to the previously oiled baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with side dish of your choice.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
- Calories – 312
- Protein – 28g
- Carbohydrates – 10g
- Fiber – 4g
- Sugar- 4g
- Fat – 17g
- Sodium – 594mg