When we’re talking about chicken, you’d agree with me that there’s nothing as tasty and satisfying as a juicy, crusty piece of finger-licking, perfectly fried chicken. It might seem like so much work has to be put in it to get it right, but it’s actually pretty simple and straightforward. And guess what? This fried chicken recipe I’m about to share puts fast-food and grocery store fried chicken to shame!
A common challenge that people face is that the crunchy coating of their chicken falls off. This might be due to a number of reasons, however, I’ll give a few tips that should help. First of all, when coating and breading the chicken, make sure you tap off the excess flour and buttermilk. Also ensure that the flour sticks to the buttermilk by giving your chicken a gentle pat after coating with the flour mixture.
In addition, make sure you don’t overcrowd the pan, and flip your chicken only once while frying. This is to ensure that you don’t knock off some of the crunchy coating while fussing with the chicken. A very useful hack also, is to allow the chicken to dry on a wire rack after dipping and dredging. This is especially useful and convenient when making large batches.
This recipe makes 6 servings and takes just 35 minutes of your time. Leftovers are good in the fridge for about 2-3 days, though the chicken are best when it is fresh and skin is still crunchy. To reheat left-overs, place in an oven at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.
Total time: 35 minutes (Prep time: 5 mins, Cook time: 30 mins)
Ingredients For Juicy and Crunchy Fried Chicken Recipe
- Chicken thighs – 6
- Chicken drumsticks – 6
- Buttermilk – 3 cups
- Buffalo hot sauce – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable oil – 1 quart
- Cornstarch – 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour – 3 cups
- Onion powder – 2 teaspoons
- Garlic powder – 2 teaspoons
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Dried basil – 1 teaspoon
- Paprika – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- White pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – 1 teaspoon
How To Make Juicy and Crunchy Fried Chicken
- Whisk together hot sauce, buttermilk, pepper and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add chicken pieces and cover with a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- When ready to fry, add the vegetable oil to a skillet until it’s about 3/4 inch deep. Heat oil till it’s 350° hot.
- Prepare the breading by combining the dredging mixture ingredients in a large bowl or gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Mix thoroughly to combine well.
- Remove chicken pieces, one at a time, from buttermilk mixture and shake gently to remove excess. Transfer it to the breading mixture and coat thoroughly. Tap gently to get rid of the excess.
- Place the chicken into the 350° oil. Do not fry over 3-4 pieces at a time to avoid overcrowding. The chicken will drop the oil temperature so adjust the heat to keep it as close to 350° as possible. Leave each piece to fry for about 14 minutes, turning it over about every 2 minutes. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove chicken pieces from oil and place on paper towels. Leave them to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories – 723kcal
- Carbs – 66g
- Protein – 42g
- Fat – 30g
- Cholesterol – 193mg
- Fiber – 2g
- Sugar – 6g