This excellent spinach salad is dressed with warm traditional bacon dressing. The bacon dressing is a mixture of sugar, bacon drippings and vinegar. Because the heat of the dressing wilts the spinach leaves, it gives the salad an amazingly sweet and sour flavour.
This spinach salad is a good choice for lunch, or to be taken along to a tailgating event, or even a potluck. The pine nuts in the recipe are added to add a little more crunch to the salad but it’s ok if you don’t want them in yours. You can also do away with the radishes if you so desire..your salad will still turn out amaaaazing!!!
To prepare ahead, combine the spinach, onion and radishes in a serving bowl and refrigerate tightly covered. Refrigerate the bacon and eggs in separate containers also after preparing. Prepare the dressing and refrigerate too. A few minutes before you’re ready to serve, add the chopped eggs to the spinach mixture and toss to mix. Heat the dressing and drizzle it over the salad, then toss. Finally, garnish with bacon and sliced eggs.
Total time: 15 minutes (Prep time: 15 mins, Cook time: 0 mins)
Ingredients For Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
- Fresh spinach (washed, torn to bite-size pieces) – 10 ounces
- Radishes (thinly sliced) – 5
- Pine nuts – 1/4 cups
- Hard boiled eggs (1 sliced, 1 chopped) – 2
- Red Onions (minced) – 1/4 cup
- Bacon slices – 2-4
- Bacon drippings – 1- 1/2 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Sugar – 11/2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – a pinch
- Water – 1 tablespoon
How To Make Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
- Combine washed and torn spinach, radishes and onions in a large bowl . Cover it tightly and refrigerate.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and place on paper towel. Set aside.
- Place bacon drippings in a small jar, add vinegar, pepper, sugar, salt, and water. Combine well and refrigerate till just before serving.
- When it’s serving time, microwave the dressing (bacon drippings mixture) till it boils (should take about 30 – 45 seconds). Add the chopped eggs to the greens and toss. Then pour the hot dressing over greens mixture and toss again lightly.
- Serve the salad on salad plates. Top with a few slices of egg, crumbled bacon or pine nuts if desired. Enjoy!
- Calories – 145kcal
- Carbohydrates – 14g
- Fats – 6g
- Protein – 10g