Gorgeous roast chicken and vegetables with all the taste that makes you happy but still healthier than you can imagine!
Ready in: 1hr20min (Prep: 10min, Cook: 1hr10min)
- Lemon – 1
- Well chopped rosemary – 2 sprigs
- Well chopped thyme – 2 sprigs
- Well chopped garlic – 6-8 cloves
- Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Whole chicken – 1 (2kg/4 lb)
- New potatoes – 300g (11 oz)
- Butternut squash – 1/2 (or same amount of carrots and parsnips)
- Chopped red onions – 2
- White wine – 250ml (8 fl oz)
- Preheat the oven to about 2200C (Gas Mark 7).
- Grate lemon zest into a bowl and add the rosemary with 2 cloves of the garlic, pepper, salt and tablespoon of the olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- Rub the mixture above under the chicken skin.
- Then cut the lemon in half and pop it inside the chicken cavity. You can also brush olive oil or butter onto the chicken skin with little salt. But this isn’t nearly that healthy.
- Now roast for about 20 minutes, and then turn the oven down to about 1900C (Gas 5).
- Roast it for another 50 minutes. (Do not forget to follow the 20 minutes per pound of chicken plus 20 minutes)
- Then place the potatoes, vegetables, sliced onion and garlic cloves into the roasting tray.
- Season with pepper and salt, and sprinkle over with olive oil. Roast for about one hour.
- Once ready, cover the vegetables and chicken and leave it to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Turn the meat juices from the roasting tray into a small saucepan, and add the wine; stirring quickly.
- Serve as gravy. NB: If you want to reduce the fat and calories, then you need to remove the skin.