I bet you, this is the best fruit cake you have ever tried. All the sweetness in this cake comes from the fruit as there is no extra sugar or fat added in the cake. You can even use it as your Christmas cake and I promise you that you will never regret it. You can use a mix of any dried fruit such as cherries, figs, currants, apricots, raisins, sultanas etc.
Ready in: 2hr 5min (Prep: 30min, Cook: 1hr 35min)
- Dates – 225g
- Water – 300ml
- Mixed fruit – 450g
- Plain whole-meal flour – 175g
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate) – 1 teaspoon
- Mixed spice – 1 teaspoon
- Ground almonds – 25g
- Grated zest of orange – 1 orange
- Orange juice – 8 tablespoons
- Put the dates and water in a saucepan,
- Bring up ‘just’ to the boil and simmer it for about 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally, until all of the dates brake down to a pulp. Then allow it to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to about 180 C (Gas 4).
- Chop the apricots and figs to the size of the sultanas.
- Put other ingredients into a bowl, but don’t add the orange juice immediate with them.
- Add the date pulp to the ingredients first and then, gradually add the orange juice until you get a moist mix, but not too wet,
- Put cake mixture into a loaf tin or round cake tin (20cm).
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes.
TIP: leave the prepared cake for a couple of days for the flavors to mature well. If you are using it as a Christmas cake, douse it with your favorite spirit. Wrap it in grease-proof paper and then in a foil. Now leave it for several weeks before the icing and marzipan go on the cake. Enjoy!