It is the dream of an average person to go to the best institutions in the world and study the best courses that these institutions have to offer. However, you will agree with me that not having a large enough pocket can seem like a hindrance to studying at the university of your choice. There is good news, however. Not having enough resources need not be a setback for you, because guess what? There are various fully-funded scholarships available to African students, especially those of Nigerian extraction, in institutions around the world.
University of Pretoria Masters Scholarship
The University of Pretoria is one of the most prestigious universities in Africa. It is also one of South Africa’s largest contact universities. They offer high quality learning both in the classroom and online.
This Masters scholarship program offered by this school is an MPhil degree in Human Rights and Democratization in Africa (HRDA). It is a highly sought after one year course that admits just 25-30 students in a six month period in Pretoria and another six months at 12 other affiliated universities around Africa.
Candidates are exposed to the best lecturers in the human rights discipline and are made to undergo many practical sessions.
This course is one-of-a-kind in Africa. Graduates of this course get to join the HRDA alumni, which is made up of about 537 members that are active in human rights work.
This spectrum covers grassroots, civil service, and global organizations such as the United Nations and African Union.
If you are from an African country you’re invited to run this master’s degree in Human Rights and Democratization
Applicants who want to qualify for a scholarship must meet the following conditions:
- Must be from an African country.
- Must be holders of a first degree in law or any honors degree that is important to human rights and human rights democratization.
- In addition to the above conditions, there are some specific criteria that are used to select candidates who merit the scholarship:
- The candidate must be a professional and have committed interest and passion to furthering human rights and democratization in Africa.
- There must be evidence that the candidate has plans to put the degree to great use both in pursuit of his or her career, preferably in his or her indigenous country.
- Limitations of fact that the candidate will be comfortable with equal ridge oral presentation in the sense that there won’t be an over-representation of students from just one African country, given the all-inclusive scope that the program is trying to achieve.
- Equitable gender representation in the sense that a balance needs to be struck between the male and female gender.
- A balanced representation of people from vulnerable minority communities.
Scholarship duration and reward
The scholarship duration and reward are as follows:
A maximum of 30 students are admitted each year. Then, depending on how much funding is available, full scholarships that cover the tuition fee, accommodation, and other official activities are covered for at least 25 students.
Applicants who did not get awarded the scholarship may be admitted as partial funding students as long as they meet the minimum admission requirements and as long as they can guarantee funding a reasonable path to tuition fee accommodation and other official program activities set by the school every year.
The required documents for this application include:
- Academic transcripts from past institutions Degree certificates from past institutions
- Scanned copy of your national passport bio-data page.
- A good photograph of yourself
- TOEFL or SAT certificate for those who do not have English qualifications.
Australian Government Research Training Program For International Students
This training program by the Australian Government is aimed at foreign students who want to gain further education in Australia.
Griffith University and some other Australian universities are part of a scholarship program. If you are currently running another degree program, you are advised to send your application before the end of that program.
- To qualify for the Australian government research training program Canada is expected to meet the following conditions:
- Candidates must be from foreign countries.
- Candidates must be starting a Higher
- Degree by Research programme at Griffith University.
- Candidates must not have another income source that takes care of of up to 75% of the RTP stipend or other general living costs.
Income that is not related to the candidate’s research program but does not support general living costs is not taken into account.
Scholarship duration and reward
The Australian Government Research Training Program provides a living allowance that reaches $28,854. This money is paid in fortnightly installments.
Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships (QECS) For International Students
The Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships (QECS) give a wonderful opportunity for students to pursue a 2-year master’s degree in a commonwealth country that has a low to moderate income status.
Students who want to create change in their communities and cause positive impact have the opportunity to experience a new horizon in a new country and join the community and network that can change their lives forever.
The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship aims to have a positive impact through academic collaboration and cultural exchange. This impact can be felt in their indigenous countries or in countries where they are studying.
Beneficiaries of this program end up joining a global community that can transform their future.
- Applicants who wish to qualify for the scholarship must meet this conditions:
- A candidate who is applying for the QECS scholarship must come from a commonwealth country
- A candidate must be the holder of an undergraduate degree at or before admission.
- There is no age restriction to apply.
- Different universities might have different admission requirements.
Scholarship duration and reward
The scholarship award covers tuition fees fully.
Living stipends are given for as long as the scholarship lasts.
The package also includes a return ticket to candidate’s host country.
A one-time allowance on arrival.
There’s a possibility of getting a research grant when requested, but this is subject to approval.
Method of Application
- The candidates can only submit an application to the listed universities on their official website
- Every year two cycles come when the candidate can apply. The candidates must do due diligence and confirm the university or country that suits his or her needs.
- Applicants can apply to more than one university in a year.
- Applicants can send in applications on their official website after taking heed of the above information and ensuring the correct documents are in order.
Malaysia Government Scholarship For International Students
The Malaysia Government Scholarship is a program focused on attracting students who wish to pursue further education in the country of Malaysia. It is aimed at bringing the brightest minds from around the world to pursue higher education in the country.
The scholarship is also in line with Malaysia’s vision and ambition to become one of the hotbeds of academic excellence on a global scale. This they intend to do by attracting and drawing the best human capital from around the globe.
Individuals who have graduated with excellent academic performances on their records are encouraged to submit their applications to top-ranking universities and higher institutions in Malaysia. These are open this time for all to experience the famous Malaysian hospitality and exceptional tutorship in their higher institutions.
- The candidates who wish to qualify for the scholarship must meet the following conditions:
- The candidates must not be above the age of 45 years at the time of application.
- Candidates who applied for the master degrees program must have obtained a minimum of second class upper honors. Alternatively they should have a minimum CGPA of 3.0 in their undergraduate years.
- Letter of proficiency in the English language. Evidence presented can include a scan copy of the original document.
- Further proof of proficiency in English can include an IELTS with a minimum score of 6.0 or TOEFL with a score of 500. for a paper based test or minimum of 60 for a computer based test.
- Candidates who are getting degrees with English as medium of instruction can also submit these as acceptable evidence.
- Has a good health status that is confirmed by a qualified physician/doctor. The candidate is the one to bear the cost of the medical check-up.
- Candidates must take a full-time course for any post-graduate programmes selected in whatever university or higher institution.
- Only candidates who have gotten offer letters from Malaysian universities but have not yet begun studies can apply. This also includes those registered for a Master’s degree but not exceeding a semester.
Scholarship duration and reward
The scholarship award takes care of the following:
- Living stipend
- Tools and books allowance
- Accommodation allowance
- Placement allowance
- Travel allowance
The money will be disbursed to the candidates by the scholarship division in the ministry of higher education into their individual savings accounts. It is highly recommended that students open an account at Bank Islam Malaysia Berhad.
The following requirements are to be used in selecting the successful candidates:
- A record of exceptional academic achievement.
- High proficiency in communication in the English language through reading and writing.