Talk about a meal that practically cooks itself! This corned beef and cabbage recipe combines all the sweetness of tender corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes in a single perfectly cooked meal. This is not just a great dinner option for St. Patrick’s Day, it’s also a good choice for anyone trying to avoid gluten/dairy. With your canned corned beef and cabbage you can prepare something awesomely healthy and yum!
This recipe works best with a 6 quarts slow cooker (or larger) as it’ll definitely fill the crock pot. It takes a while to cook (about 8 hours or more) because corned beef, as with any other beef brisket, is a tough cut of meat till it’s adequately and properly cooked. But not to worry, the end result couldn’t be more satisfying.
It is important to rest your corned beef for some time before cutting (it’s the secret to having a great cut of meat) and also cut against the grain when ready to cut. This results in a juicer, more flavorful and fork tender corned beef I’m positive the whole family will love and ask more of.
Normally, corned beef is sold with a seasoning packet or comes already seasoned, so the seasoning packet was used in this recipe. However, if yours does not come with a seasoning packet, you can add about 2-3 tablespoons of pickling spices, a bay leaf and a few pepper corns. Tie them up in a cheesecloth and drop in the slow cooker.
So who’s ready to learn the easiest, most delicious, and effortless corned beef and cabbage soup recipe ever?? Oh, I almost forgot – corned beef leftovers are also wonderful, they’re simply the best! These corn beef recipes are also easy to make.
Total Time: 8hours 15mins (Prep time: 15mins, Cook time: 8hours)
Ingredients For Effortless Corned Beef And Cabbage Slow Cooker Recipe
- Corned beef brisket – 1 (3-4 lbs)
- Carrots (chopped) – 2 (large)
- Cabbage – 1 small head
- Potatoes (peeled & quartered) – 2lbs
- Onion (chopped in large chunks) – 1
- Bay leaves – 2
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Water – 21/2 – 3 cups
How To Make Effortless Corned Beef And Cabbage With Slow Cooker
- At the bottom of the slow cooker, place chopped onions and top with corned beef. Then add the seasoning packet.
- Add water to the slow cooker till the water just about covers the corned beef. Add bay leaves and then garlic.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for about 8-10 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker after the initial 3 hours.
- Add cabbage when it’s two hours before serving.
- Rest corned beef after cooking for about 15 minutes before slicing and serve with carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Enjoy!
- Calories – 592kcal
- Protein- 39g
- Carbohydrates – 32g
- Fat – 34g
- Cholesterol – 122mg
- Fiber – 8g
- Sugar – 6g