Do you want to know something Interesting and surprising, it’s tomato season. Interestingly you can use this versatile fruit to prepare ratatouille. For the uninitiated, it sounds like the name of an interesting movie.
Ratatouille recipe is a sweet oven-roasted dish with layers of other in-season favorites like zucchini and summer squash. The traditional version is slow-cooked on the stove, It’s delightfully hands-off. It’s healthy and brings delight to the heart.
Tomatoes are also high in lycopene, an anti-inflammatory antioxidant.
Total time: 1hour 30mins ( Prep time: 35mins, Cook time: 55mins)
Ingredients For Ratatouille
- Olive oil- 5 tablespoons
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Sprigs oregano- 2
- Tomato puree( or tomato sauce)- 1 cup
- Small eggplant (thickly sliced)- 1
- Medium red onion (thickly sliced)- 1
- Medium summer squash thickly sliced)- 2
- Medium zucchini (thickly sliced)- 2
- Small red ball peppers (side cut off and halved)-2
- Medium tomatoes (thickly sliced)- 3
- Thyme leaves- 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black Pepper.
How To Make Ratatouille
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place four individual baking dishes or one 9-inch square baking dish on a baking sheet.
- In a small pot, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium-low heat. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the pot from the heat, add the oregano and let steep for 15 minutes. Remove and discard the garlic and oregano.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of the olive oil into the base of each small baking dish (or 2 tablespoons into the base of the larger baking dish).
- Spread 2 tablespoons tomato puree on the base of each baking dish (or ¼ cup on the base of the larger baking dish).
- Layer the eggplant, onion, summer squash, zucchini, pepper and tomato in the prepared baking dishes. Stagger the slices slightly and don’t worry about being perfect or matchy–just make sure they are packed in tightly.
- Brush the remaining tomato puree on top, then drizzle evenly with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender and beginning to brown at the surface and edges, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 283
- Fat: 18g
- Carbs: 30g
- Protein: 6g
- Sugars: 16g