This easy-to-make homemade beef broth is nice to have at home. Good for families on budget as you don’t need to go to stores to spend money buying beef broth. In fact, homemade beef broth is the best broth to use for your cooking because it is healthier than any broth you can get elsewhere.
Thus, sacrifice this little time to prepare yours. Why I like making my own broth is that it can serve you for up to 6 months, as long as you store it in a freezer. Refrigerator can preserve it like 3/4 days. So freezer is the winner here.
In this recipe, we advised that you store overnight or at least 8 hours so that the fats in the broth will float on the surface. But if you really need to use it immediately, then you must skim the fat before using.
Ingredients for Homemade Beef Broth
- Meaty beef soup bones (you can use beef shanks or short ribs) – 4 pounds
- Medium carrots (cut into chunks) – 3
- Celery ribs (cut into chunks) – 3
- Medium onions (quartered) – 2
- Warm water (110° to 114°) – 1/2 cup
- Bay leaves – 3
- Garlic cloves – 3
- Whole peppercorns – 8-10
- Sprigs fresh parsley – 3-4
- Dried thyme – 1 teaspoon
- Dried marjoram – 1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Cold water
You may also like:
- The Best Keto Low Carb Chili Recipe Without Beans For Instant Pot
- Creamy Low Carb Keto Instant Pot Garlic Shrimp Scampi With Carbanada Pasta Recipe For Your Quick Dinner
- Easy Homemade Whole30, Paleo, and Keto Taco & Fajita Seasoning Recipe
How to make Homemade Beef Broth
- Preheat your oven to 450°.
- With your roasting pan, bake the soup bones for about 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery, and bake for another 30 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Use your spoon and transfer the bones and veggie to the oven.
- Add the warm water to the pan and use it to loosen any browned stuck bit.
- Then transfer everything in the pan into the oven.
- Add seasonings and water to cover it.
- Bring to boil for about 30 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 4 to 5 hours, uncovered.
- Ensure the ingredients are covered by the water. So you can add more water while cooking.
- Bring out the beef bones and allow it to cool.
- Use cheesecloth-lined colander to strain the broth. Discard the veggies and seasonings.
- Put in your refrigerator and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours to enable the fats float on the surface. Remove the fats.
- Use and store in your freezer for over 4 months.
Nutritional Information (Per Cup)
- Calories: 209 kcal
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Sugars: 3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 22g