Have you tried recipes upon recipes looking for one that makes a perfect, easy, classic and simply delicious chilli? Well, CONGRATULATIONS! You’ve just had a breakthrough – this chilli recipe is a perfect match for what you’ve been looking for.
This traditional chilli recipe is so easy and fast, making it perfect for a weeknight dinner. Made with ground beef, red kidney beans and a simple blend of chilli seasonings, this recipe is really flavorful and satisfyingly so. If you’re trying to cut down on your beef intake but you don’t want to miss out on this amazing chilli, swap the beef for chicken or turkey mince – works perfectly well too.
This recipe makes 6 servings, but it can be doubled (or tripled) if you’re looking to feed a big crowd. You can also make it a day ahead (it tastes even better then) – just make sure it’s completely cooled before storing in an airtight container, in the fridge. Leftovers can last for about 3-5 days.
I should say this – if you have little kids or toddlers, you might want to skip the cayenne pepper or just use a sprinkle of it so the chilli won’t be too spicy for the little ones. In case the adults want theirs more spicy, put out some hot sauce to be added to theirs. Diced avocado, sour cream or shredded cheddar cheese make awesome toppings for this chilli.
Total time: 30 minutes (Prep time: 5mins, Cook time: 25mins).
Ingredients For Simple And Classic Chilli Recipe
- Ground beef (90% lean) – 1 pound
- Yellow onion (medium, diced) – 1
- Beef broth – 11/2 cups
- Tomato sauce – 1 can (8oz)
- Petite diced tomatoes – 1 can (15oz)
- Red kidney beans (rinsed and drained) – 1 can (16oz)
- Chilli powder – 21/2 tablespoons
- Ground cumin – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic powder – 1 tablespoon
- Granulated sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Tomato paste – 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Ground black pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 11/2 teaspoons
How To Make Simple And Classic Chilli
- In a large soup pot, add the olive oil and place over medium heat for 11/2 – 2 minutes. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the ground beef to the cooked onions and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook on medium heat while stirring occasionally till the meat is browned (should take about 7 minutes).
- Stir in chilli powder, tomato paste, cumin, sugar, garlic, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper. Make sure it is well combined.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, kidney beans and diced tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a low boil. Simmer on low to medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes leaving it uncovered. Stir occasionally.
- Take pot away from the heat and leave chilli to rest for few minutes (about 7-10 minutes( before serving. Enjoy!
- Calories – 334kcal
- Carbohydrates – 34g
- Protein – 25g
- Sugar – 19g
- Cholesterol – 49mg
- Sodium – 1249mg
- Fat – 11g