This creamy but light chicken salad is just ideal for serving as a cold buffet dish or luncheon. Since the dressing of this creamy chicken salad is based on low-fat Greek-style yogurt mixed with reduced-fat mayonnaise, it is lower in fat than many other creamy dressings while still keeping its richness. Please, don’t omit the stem ginger because its subtle flavour makes all the difference you need.
Ready in: 25min (Prep: 25min)
- Cold roasted chicken – 1.5 kg (3 lb 3 oz), or cooked chicken meat – 675 g (1 ½ lb)
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Green-skinned dessert apples (like Granny Smith) – 2 crisp
- Celery (thinly sliced) – 4 sticks
- Ready-to-eat dried apricots (quartered) – 115 g (4 oz)
- Greek-style yogurt (0% fat) – 5 tablespoon
- Reduced-fat mayonnaise – 2 tablespoon
- Stem ginger (finely diced) – 2 pieces
- Broken walnuts – 30 g (1 oz)
- Sprigs of watercress to garnish
- Remove the chicken meat from the carcass, if using a whole roast chicken, and discard the skin.
- Cut the meat into bites and place in a large serving bowl.
- Then put the lime juice in a small bowl.
- Core and chop the apples, and then add them to the lime juice and toss them well to coat the apple pieces. NB: This will make them not to turn brown.
- Add the celery, apples and apricots to the chicken and thoroughly mix them together.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and yogurt, and season with pepper.
- Next, add the stem ginger to the mixture and stir.
- Now, spoon this dressing over the chicken salad and toss it until all the pieces are well coated.
- Sprinkle over the walnuts and garnish with watercress. Then serve!