I’m so excited to share this egg salad recipe with you as it’s just simply perfect. Creamy and flavorful, this classic egg salad can be eaten plain – right out of the container, combined with a gluten-free bread to make a sandwich for lunch or used to make a collard wrap with cucumber slices and some other greens.
This egg salad recipe is a simple mix of hard boiled eggs, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, parsley, chives, lemon juice and red onion. Do make sure that you use perfectly hard boiled eggs as that’s the major ingredient of the recipe. It’s not nice when they’re too soft and not mixable, too hard and rubbery or just overly cooked with the yolk already turning green.
The egg custard can last up to 4-5 days in the fridge so leftovers can be stored for future use. An important tip is that cold eggs shouldn’t be introduced straight into the boiling water as this may crack the egg. So you should leave the eggs out prior to boiling. You can also run them under lukewarm water for a couple of seconds and turn off the boiling right before you introduce the eggs.
Total time: 25 minutes (Prep time: 10 mins, Cook time: 15 mins)q
Ingredients For Classic Egg Salad Recipe
- Eggs (at room temperature) – 6
- Mayonnaise – 1/4 cup
- Dijon mustard – 1 tablespoon
- Parsley – 2 tablespoons
- Chives – 2 tablespoons
- Red onion (finely diced) – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
How To Make Classic Egg Salad Recipe
- Place a pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low, then gently and slowly lower the eggs into the water with a skimmer. Turn the heat back to high and leave to boil for about 12-14 minutes.
- Transfer the eggs to an ice water bath for some minutes to cool. Once they are cool to touch, peel the eggs and discard their shells.
- Cut the eggs to your preferred size (chunky is nice!)
- Combine the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, red onions, parsley, chives and mayonnaise in a bowl. Stir to combine well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on it’s own or use in other recipes. Enjoy!
- Calories – 197kcal
- Carbohydrates – 1g
- Protein – 8g
- Fat – 16g
- Cholesterol – 251mg
- Sodium – 226mg