Cheapest Universities In Poland And All You Need To Know

Poland is one of the few nations in Europe with a rich and long history of true-life phoenixes, resistance groups, and fighters rising from their own ashes to become more powerful.

There’s absolutely no surprise as to why Poland has earned its position as one of the most sought-after locations for international students. This is achieved through their low cost of living, culture, and multitude of high-standard and affordable universities. 

Polish universities such as the Medical University of Lodz, University of Gdansk, Poznan University of Economic and Business, University of Wroclaw and so many others are really cheap. Below is a list of 8 universities that are relatively cheap for international students:

  1. University of Wroclaw
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $3,600 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $3,200 Per Year
  2. AGH University of Science and Technology
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $2,200 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $2,200 Per Year
  3. Academy of Finance and Management in Bialystok
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $970 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $970 Per Year
  4. Adam Mickiewicz University
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $1,370 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $1,370 Per Year
  5. Warsaw University of Technology
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $3,300 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $2,200 Per Year
  6. University of Gdansk
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $1,100 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $1,400 Per Year
  7. University of Warsaw
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $2,200 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $2,200 Per Year
  8. Jagiellonian University
    Undergraduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $3,000 Per Year
    Graduate Tuition Fees ~ USD $4,200 Per Year

This article gives you details on how you can study in Poland as an international student on a budget.

Where do I apply for a Polish master’s degree?

Within the last ten years, Poland has made sure to improve the level of its educational system. This has attracted many international students who have dreams of furthering their educational horizons.

Poland has a variety of universities, like the Jagiellonian University of Cracow, with different standards; it’s your choice and budget that lead you to where you should apply. 

They offer all students a vast range of studies, from medical specialties and technical fields to finance, economics, and social sciences. You simply have to know your area of study and pick a university that fits you.

Can you study in Poland in English?

It costs about 2500–3000 EUR per year on average to study in Poland. However, studying in English, on average, is quite expensive and costs about 3500 EUR per year. 

Yes, you can choose to study in English or Polish when applying for a program in Poland.

Zerowka is a nine-month non-degree program for future students. This preparatory course includes a couple of subjects highlighting Polish. You get a certificate of participation once you finish the program, which could be used to confirm your level of Polish proficiency. 

What are the requirements for studying in Poland?

Poland is identified as an official member of the European Union (EU/EEA), so you would need a visa as a non-EU/EEA student (this does not apply to EU/EEA students) before you are eligible for a Polish visa.

Students who wish to further their studies in a master’s program at any university in Poland would have to meet a list of minimum requirements. They include;

  • Visa ( There are embassies and consulates that handles these paper works) 
  • A bachelor’s diploma
  • Proof of matriculation or any equivalent certificate
  • Pass the English proficiency test.

Additionally, the most typical documentation needed for admission to Polish universities includes;

  • Admission fee payment proof
  • University-issued undergraduate diploma or a valid substitute
  • Personal and academic reference (One of each)
  • Pre-filled application form
  • Passport-size photographs (confirm the amount from the University)
  • Copy of ID
  • English language proficiency test proof

These are the basic requirements you must have before you can start making plans to move forward. However, this does not set a standard, as you might be required to bring more documents depending on your school’s preference.

How many years do I stay at a Polish university?

Poland’s universities follow the Bologna process. However, the number of years you study strictly depends on the program you applied for and the university. Below is the duration for some types of studies in Poland;

  • Master’s degree: 3-4 semesters ( 1.5 to 2 years )
  • Bachelor of Science: 7-8 semesters ( 3.5 years)
  • Bachelor of Arts: 6 semesters ( 3 years)
  • Postgraduate studies 1-2 semesters ( 1-1.5 years)
  • Long cycle Masters degree ( for law, psychology, and Medical specialties) 10-12 semesters ( 5-6 years)

The period you’ll stay in Poland should be confirmed on your school’s website, as this is basically a guideline.

Can I work in Poland with a student visa?

As the popular phrase goes, “Time is money”. Polish law has a standard working time for anyone employed legally in Poland. How many hours in a day or week are you obligated to work, and what does that actually look like?

The new Polish regulations have made it easy for international students to use their temporary residence permit to find a job. You are permitted to work twenty hours a week, part-time and full-time, during your free period.

It is advised to put more of your attention into your studies and choose part-time employment because you will need a good grade to renew your student visa.

How can I continue living in Poland once I graduate?

 EU and EEA citizens, your stay permit must be updated. For international students, apply for a permit to work and reside in Poland after your graduation from a Polish university.

Furthermore, international students with regular and stable incomes who wish to reside permanently in Poland should make sure they have stayed in Poland for at least four years before they can apply for a permanent residence permit.

When a permanent residence card is issued to you, it is issued to last for a period of ten years, after which you would have to replace it with a new one.

This permit gives you access to work and resides in Poland without having to apply for a supplementary work permit. However, do not neglect the card when it has expired; always replace it after ten years.

What should I do next after receiving the university acceptance letter?

Finally! You deserve a big congratulations after the sleepless nights. However, you’ll still need to prepare for your stay in Poland. 

You must apply for the European health insurance card (EHIC) to be qualified for free health insurance as an EU or EEA student.

Non-EU/EEA students are to get health insurance from their country or immediately upon arrival. If your health insurance is not covered, your bill will be substantial, as you would have to pay for your health services with your own money.

As a student in the EU or EEA, there is no need to worry about a visa. However, since you would be staying for more than three months, you would have to apply for a temporary residence permit, no matter the country you are coming from.

Lastly, before traveling to Poland, ensure that you have called the international relations office of the university (IRO) to get better information on the basics like your driving license, insurance, medical care, and coming to Poland.

Leave a Comment