Lasagna gotten from the frozen food aisle is great but not as awesome as that made at home. This homemade Italian-style lasagna recipe I’m about sharing is amaaazing! It’s made to perfection with a balance between the homemade bolognese sauce, layers of cheese and noodles. Just like other mouthwatering lasagna recipes, it incorporates everything we love in a good pasta dish; the flavorful fresh herbs, noodles, cheeses and a tasty meat sauce.
If you’re looking to feed a crowd, homemade lasagna is a great option. It is also a perfect dish to take along to a potluck. So because this recipe is a from- the-scratch recipe, it requires quite a number of steps and takes a little more time – but it’s absolutely worth it!
In this recipe, sugar is added to balance the acidity of the tomato, but if you’d rather not use sugar, finely chopped carrots are a good substitute. Use about a cup to replace the sugar. Also, although fresh herbs are the best option, dried herbs can also be used in a third of the amount of fresh herbs stated.
In addition, we’ll be using a lasagna pasta shortcut. I know you’d love to avoid that extra step of boiling lasagna noodle but at the same time wouldn’t like a no boil lasagna noodle either, since it comes out soggy and with an unpleasant texture. Not to worry, we’ve got the perfect hack to make the perfect pasta while skipping the boil. Read on to learn how!😊
Total Time: 2hrs 20mins (Prep time: 1hr 30mins, Cook time: 50mins)
Ingredients For Best Homemade Lasagna Recipe
- Sweet Italian sausage – 1 pound
- Lean beef (ground) – 1 pound
- Lasagna noodles- 1 pound
- Ricotta cheese – 30 ounce
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated) – 1 cup
- Mozzarella cheese (thinly sliced) – 1 pound
- Tomato sauce – 1 (15 ounce) can
- Crushed tomatoes – 1 (28 ounce) can
- Tomato paste – 2 (6 ounce) cans
- White onion (minced) – 1 (large)
- Garlic (minced) – 5 cloves
- White sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- White wine – 1/2 cup
- Fresh basil (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Oregano (ground) – 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper (ground) – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh parsley (chopped) – 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
- Egg – 1 (large)
- Nutmeg (ground) – 1/8 teaspoon
How To Make Best Homemade Lasagna
- Add in ground sausage and beef in a large pot over medium heat. Break up the meat into small pieces with a spoon. While stirring consistently, add in garlic and onion and cook until well browned. Add fennel seeds, sugar, basil, oregano, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring constantly. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1-4 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Put lasagna noodles in a pan or bowl and pour hot water directly over it till it is completely immersed in the water. Leave for about 30 minutes to soak. Drain and discard the drained water.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons parsley and nutmeg. Place in refrigerator until you are ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a deep baking pan preferably 9×13 in size.
- When you are ready to assemble lasagna, pour about a cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with 4 noodles and spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top again with about 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese then add 11/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with 1/4 parmesan cheese. Repeat the process 2 times more to make 3 layers. Then place a final layer of pasta and top with a cup of meat sauce. Add the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese then cover loosely with a foil.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Afterwards, remove foil and bake again for another 25 minutes for the cheese to brown. Enjoy!
- Calories – 834kcal
- Carbohydrates- 54g
- Protein- 64g
- Fat – 39g
- Sugar – 6g
- Saturated fat – 19g
- Sodium- 1514mg
- Cholesterol – 174mg
- Fiber – 3g