These versatile and basic oatcakes are easy to make. They can be enjoyed as snack, with vegetable or meat dishes, or they can simply be used with a little honey for breakfast.
Ready in: 30min (Prep: 15min , Cook: 15min)
- Margarine – 85g (3 oz)
- Plain flour – 110g (4 oz)
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oats – 225g (8 oz)
- cold water (to bind dough)
- Preheat the oven to about 1900C (Gas 5). Lightly grease the baking tray to be used or line with baking parchment.
- In large bowl, rub the margarine into the flour until its mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the salt, the baking powder, and then the oats to the above mixture.
- Add enough cold water in order to bind the dough. But do not add so much water that will make it sticky.
- Now turn the oatcake dough out onto a floured surface and roll out.
- Cut it into discs and place the cuts on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 – 20 minutes until firm.
TIP: Oatcakes are best prepared with medium oatmeal. This refers to the grade of oats ranging from very fine through to the rougher and coarser variety. You can substitute with the margarine for a richer flavor and texture.