Just with potatoes, butter, scallion, buttermilk, black pepper, and shredded cheese of your choice, and salt, you are ready to make one of the best mashed potatoes meal. Garnish with extra butter and green onion to make it the best traditional Irish champ.
The recipe is very simple and easy to follow: peel your potatoes and bring to boil. Then mash with other ingredients and garnish with butter and green onion. This is the easiest you can ever have.
Moreover, this easy and tasty Irish champ is perfect for a large family or crowd. Do you want a healthy lifestyle? Then this is a must-have in your food journal. If you don’t like it with cheese, you might want to check out this yummy Irish Champ Recipe With No Shredded Cheese. Enjoy!
Ready In: 40 mins (Prep Time: 20 mins; Cook Time: 20 mins)
Ingredients For Irish Champ
- Starchy potatoes, peeled – 3 lb
- Butter – 4 tablespoons (plus extra more for garnish)
- Buttermilk – 3/4 cup
- Green onions/Scallions (chopped) – 6 (plus extra more for garnish)
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Shredded sharp cheese like Asiago, Dunmore, Cheddar, etc. – 4 oz
How To Make Irish Champ
- Put the potatoes in your pot.
- Cover it with water and bring to boil, or until it becomes tender.
- Remove from heat and drain the potatoes.
- Add the butter, green onion, buttermilk, black pepper, and salt.
- Mash and stir the mixture until you get the desired consistency.
- Transfer to your serving bowl.
- Open a shallow hole at the center and spread the butter. Then, sprinkle over with cheese and green onion.
Nutritional Information (per serving – 1.5 cups)
- Calories: 581
- Total Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 6g
- Protein: 23g