This shiny roasted chicken is sweet, however sticky, but flavored with the five-spice powder, which is a combination of cloves, cinnamon, star anise, pepper, and fennel. The Five-Spice Glazed Chicken conforms perfectly with cauliflower fried rice or roasted broccoli, depending on what you want. And please take note; you need an oven-safe roasting rack to roast the chicken.
Ready in 50 mins(Prep:20 mins,Cook:30 mins)
- Whole chicken – 1
- Soy sauce – 1/3 cup
- Swerve confectioners – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger – 6 slices
- Five-spice powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar-free maple syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Get a large Ziploc bag, in the bag, mix the soy sauce, Swerve, ginger slices, and remaining five-spice powder.
- Remove the liver, heart, gizzard, and neck of the chicken. After removing it, sprinkle half-teaspoon of the five-spice powder into the inside of the chicken.
- Place the chicken inside the Ziploc bag,turn to full coat. Marinade overnight, turning occasionally.
- When it’s time to roast the chicken, set your oven temperature to 350°F. Using a roasting rack, place the chicken on a baking sheet to give room for air under the chicken.
- Tuck the chicken wings under the chicken, then cut holes near the bottom of the chicken to guard the legs.
- After cutting, roast the chicken 20 minutes with any preferable vegetable oil of your choice.
- After roasting the chicken for 20 minutes grease the chicken with some of the oil collected beneath the chicken. If it is not enough, feel free to add some more oil, very little.
- Perform step 7 twice, until the chicken has cooked for 1 hour. While you are at it, i.e., cooking the chicken and basting it, you can set the unused marinade in a small pot on the stove.
- Boil it down a bit so that it thickens up. Be sure to regularly steer often in order not to get it toasted as it quickly burns.
- After the chicken has cooked for an hour the next thing to do is to start basting it every 10 minutes, for an additional half hour. Use the thickened marinade to baste during this last half hour. Make use of a thermometer to check the chicken temperature level. Make sure the thermometer reads 165°F.
You can add a little more marinade for extra flavor.